Development Bank Jobs in Uganda : Head of Legal/Bank Secretary
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Uganda Development Bank (UDB)
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Banking Jobs in Uganda
The Head of Legal/Bank Secretary will be responsible for enabling UDBL to achieve its business objectives in a legally compliant way by ensuring that the Legal Department’s activities are prioritized and the Department is staffed internally and externally to maximize the Bank’s business objectives and performance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Carry out Board secretarial services:
- Serve as Secretary to the Board and Board Committees as appropriate and deliver an efficient and effective service.
- Ensure that the Board and Committees operate within their mandate
- Ensures adherence to best practice Corporate Governance Standards.
- Ensure all statutory filings and any updates thereto are filed with the relevant authorities in a timely manner. Provide input into the Annual report and organize and run the Board meetings, Annual General Meeting and other shareholder meetings as required.
- Responsible for custody, and application of common seal.
- Preserve value (financial and reputational)
- Be a lead driver in ensuring that UDBL’s policies are adhered to and drive sustainable behaviours
- Enhance and manage key stakeholder relationships
- Prioritize and evaluate the best use of external and internal legal resources and mange spend accordingly.
- Select and agree terms of business with external lawyers and grow and drive best practice external legal service provision
Risk Management and Advisory Services:
- Take the lead to proactively identify and mitigate legal risks
- Provides up to date and relevant guidance on the application and interpretation of laws, regulations and policies applicable to the business and functions.
- Proactively provide sound commercial and pragmatic legal advice and solutions for all aspects of UDBL’s business
- Reviews, negotiates and finalizes contracts for various services from the business units and external parties.
- Manages the carrying out of legal due diligence on investment proposals for submission to the executive committee of management and subsequently to the Board
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an LLB (Hon) Degree; Postgraduate Diploma in Legal practice and; the person MUST be an Advocate of the High Court of Uganda.
- Possession of a postgraduate degree in law or business is required. A recognized management course or ICSA would be an added advantage.
- At least ten years of post-qualification experience in a legal services department of a financial institution with 4 of those years in a similar role within a major banking institution.
- At least three years’ experience as Company Secretary
- Ability to lead and create a motivated and energized human resource base, with a focus on results based performance.
- Prior experience managing the legal department of a bank.
- Experience of managing a litigation portfolio and providing support to a debt recoveries unit