Empower a Child Jobs in Uganda : Accountant Assistant
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Empower a Child
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
Empower a Child is a not-for-profit faith-based organization operating in East Africa. Empower a Child is registered in United States of America as a 501(c) 3 not-for-profit organization. When it was started in 2006, Empower a Child focus was on the humanitarian situation in Uganda and Kenya, in particular, re-building communities, community structures, and empowering the youth. Empower a Child developed an integrated approach to development through engagement in four key sectors: education (including child sponsorship), health education, vocational training and entrepreneurship, character and spiritual development.
In the year 2010, Empower a Child Uganda purchased land in Zirobwe, Luwero District (approximately 1.5 hour drive north of Kampala, the Capital City). This land is in the heart of a community that has struggled to re-build from a guerilla war that took place over 30 years ago. Empower a Child, hopes to work with the community to build a self-sustaining community development program on this land. There have been marked developments so far. Since 2010, Empower a Child has constructed a community church, medical clinic, established a community school, started up an economic empowerment program that directly reaches the women and has set up agricultural and animal husbandry projects to diversify income avenues of the households. In 2017, Empower a Child is re-locating to the Zirobwe to better assist the community development program impact.
Job Summary: The Accountant Assistant will provide financial and accounting services in Empower a Child field office in accordance with financial regulations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Financial Administration and Compliance:
- Receive, review and process all invoices, requisitions and requests for payment according to the specified procedures;
- Keenly review all payments for necessary forms and supporting documentation and provide for proper accounting, accuracy, completeness and adherence to the EAC policies and procedures
- Implement and ensure all respective donors and local Gov’t rules and regulations are respected.
- In charge of compiling and filing returns for statutory deductions like NSSF and PAYE;
- Establish and maintain an efficient and accurate filing system;
- Code all expenditures following the standard chart of accounts, code budget and record to the quick books accounting software or recording system daily and ensure weekly review and posting (Perform QuickBooks reviewed data entry for reconciliation and reports generation)
Internal Controls and Audit Support:
- Do monthly mandatory cash counts;
- Provide financial information to the Finance Manager and external auditors;
- Perform regular cash counts weekly and whenever needed by Operations Manager, Finance Manager, Country Director and official auditors directed by the supervisor.
Finance Unit Leadership:
- Keep safe custody of important documents (cheque books, customer’s information); Keep the office safe, safe keys, cash, important documents (cheque books, customer’s information); and other assets in a secure and protected place.
- Keep record of all cash, bank and advances on excel worksheet, update every day and reconcile daily
- Support budget holders to make cash flow forecast, monitor cash flow, and ensure that sufficient funds are always available in the bank.
- Prepare payroll as per contracts and other payments as per budget.
- Make payments and pay all bills
Financial Reporting (Internal and External):
- Maintain the bank ledger for the field office to ascertain actual bank balances. On a monthly basis, prepared the Cash and Bank Reconciliation Reports for management.
- Ensure that on monthly basis balance sheet reconciliations are completed on time and that country standard report and supporting data are reviewed and produced on a monthly basis;
- Consolidate monthly financial reports to provide institution heads with timely reports on fiscal health, including revenue/expenditure reports, expense reports by grant and budget variance reports, among others;
- Prepare monthly finance management reports at the end of each month, and submit them to operations manager.
Cash Flow Planning and Cash Management:
- Report to the Operations Manager about money received, acknowledge receipt of funds and file all documentation;
- Bank Agent: Responsible for delivering and receiving banking instructions to and from the bank, make deposits both cash and cheques;
- Transfer money between head-office and field offices.
- Disburse or receive authorized cash or bank payments and receipts.
- Ensure that all income both cash and gifts in kind are properly managed and well distributed
- Provide technical support to procurement officer
- Receive all cash at the center and handle all banking
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Empower a Child Accountant Assistant career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or equivalent, with a recognized professional accounting qualification (CPA, CMA, ACCA).
- At least five years’ experience in handling project reporting for various donors (UK, USA, etc)
- Computer literacy i.e. knowledge and experience in finance software systems (QuickBooks is a most)
- Proven ability to work under pressure and manage the workload to complete critical deadlines.
- Excellent communication and coordination skills
- Capacity to work as a team and in multicultural environment.
- High integrity, self-driven and able to set own work schedule with rigorous deadlines;
- Able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) in English with all staff.
- Possess the ability and desire to work within one’s influence to serve as an advocate for children
- The applicant must be a mature Christian characterized by a strong Christian testimony, a heart for ministry, and knowledge of the Scriptures.
- Be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Empower a Child and faithfully upholds Empower a Child ministry in prayer.
- Willingness to regularly travel to programme sites.
- Experience in proposal and report writing with a proven ability to secure donor funding.
How to Apply
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send a letter of application(One page) together with current curriculum vitae (3 pages)showing details of your address and contact plus copies of certificates with two professional references and your Pastor to: [email protected] and copy [email protected] (please clearly indicate job applied for in subject of Email
Deadline: 11th January 2017 by 5:00pm