Fenix International Jobs in Uganda : Senior Software Engineer
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Fenix International
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Uganda
Founded in 2009, Fenix International is a venture-backed, for-profit renewable energy company with offices in Silicon Valley and East Africa. Fenix operates on the front line of renewable energy and mobile financial services in emerging markets, and our mission is to deliver life-changing technology to the 1.3 billion people who live without power.
Our flagship product is the ReadyPay Solar Power System – one of the world’s most affordable and accessible sources of power to those living off-grid. Providing phone charging, lights, radios, and even TVs, ReadyPay is available from just $0.40 per-day and financed over 18-months via Mobile Money platforms. We pride ourselves on generating financing plans that are flexible, inclusive and affordable to ensure the greatest reach and impact.
ReadyPay was launched in Uganda in early 2014 and the business has grown exceptionally during the past year, exceeding all targets and growth ambitions. We are now poised to scale and revolutionize access to electricity and financial services.
Fenix International is looking for a talented, self-starting software developer with strong leadership skills to join the Fenix team and help deliver affordable solar power to emerging markets in Uganda and the larger East African community. The role will involve helping to recruit, train and mentor a team of software engineers based in East Africa to develop the Django web application that powers Fenix’s financial platform ReadyPay and administer the cloud-based Linux servers that run the application. Software developers here work on all parts of the stack — from the server-side python application and its MySQL database to the front-end HTML, CSS, and JS.
This position offers a great opportunity to work alongside an elite team of engineers and business professionals and directly contribute to the success of a fast-moving venture-funded Silicon Valley startup with great potential for social and environmental impact. The ideal applicant will have experience being a senior-level software engineer and will want to shape the technological vision of the company and help to lead and grow the existing team. Candidates must enjoy working in a startup environment, and ideally have a passion for renewable energy and sustainable development in Frontier Markets. This position offers a unique opportunity to spend time in both our Kampala and San Francisco offices, and potentially other parts of the world (travel 10%).
Required Skills & Experience
- 5-10 years of experience
- Bachelors or Masters in a relevant engineering discipline (Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science preferred)
- Programming language experience in Python
- Experience creating and maintaining scalable web applications
- Database administration and data management skills (SQL)
- Server backend management experience (Linux, MySQL, Nginx, etc)
- Working knowledge of both high-level object oriented and low-level procedural programming concepts. A full-stack developer.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Availability to travel (approx 10%)
- Experience with the Django web framework
- Experience leading a team and / or mentoring junior developers
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and its services, such as, but not limited to, EC2 and RDS.
- Prior experience with software Design for Testability (white-box, unit testing, TDD)
- Experience with Agile & XP methodologies (TDD, Pair Programming, CI)
- Working knowledge of good practices for computer and data security
- Experience with git and GitHub based source code management
- Interest in products for emerging markets