Fenix International Jobs in Uganda : Software Engineer
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Fenix International
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Uganda
Fenix International is looking for a talented, self-starting software developer to join the Fenix team to help deliver affordable solar power to emerging markets in Uganda and the larger East African community. Key responsibilities will include developing the Django web application that powers Fenix’s financial platform ReadyPay and administering the cloud-based Linux servers that run the application. Software developers here work on all parts of the stack — from the server-side python application and its MySQL database to the front-end HTML, CSS, and JS.
This position offers a great opportunity to work alongside an elite team of engineers and business professionals and directly contribute to the success of a fast-moving venture-funded Silicon Valley startup with great potential for social and environmental impact. Candidates must enjoy working in a startup environment, and ideally have a passion for renewable energy and sustainable development in Frontier Markets. This position offers a unique opportunity for interesting global travel including China for production, Sub-Saharan Africa for field visits and other parts of the world as well. (Travel ~10% time)
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelors or Masters in a relevant engineering discipline (Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science preferred)
- Programming language proficiency in Python
- Experience creating and maintaining scalable web applications
- Appreciation for detailed source code documentation and organized code structuring
- Working knowledge of both high-level object oriented and low-level procedural programming concepts. A full-stack developer.
- Comfort architecting software per modern software design patterns (MVP, MVC, etc)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Availability to travel (approx 10%)
- 3+ years experience
- Experience with the Django web framework
- Server backend management experience (Linux, MySQL, Nginx, etc)
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and its services, such as, but not limited to, EC2 and RDS.
- Database administration and data management skills (SQL)
- Prior experience with software Design for Testability (white-box, unit testing)
- Working knowledge of good practices for computer and data security
- Experience with git and GitHub based source code management
- Interest in products for emerging markets
Founded in 2009, Fenix International is a venture-backed renewable energy company with offices in East Africa and Silicon Valley. With core expertise in power electronics, product design and base-of-the-pyramid marketing, Fenix’s mission is to deliver quality of life to the 1.3 billion people who live without power in emerging markets.
ReadyPay is Fenix’s patent-pending financial platform that allows customers to pay-to-own Fenix solar energy systems over time. Engineered to integrate with any mobile money system, ReadyPay enables customers to make payments from a mobile phone and receive a secure code to unlock access to solar power until another payment is due. Launched in Uganda in partnership with Africa’s largest telecom MTN, ReadyPay Solar is available now for as little $0.25 per day.