Forum for Women Jobs in Uganda : Program Officer, Communications
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to email@example.com
- Company: Forum for Women
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Advertising Jobs in Uganda
Organisation: Forum for Women in Democracy (FOWODE)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director of Programmes
Forum for Women in Democracy is a non-partisan Women’s rights organization operating in Uganda with its head office in Kampala. FOWODE grew out of the Women’s Caucus of the 1994 – 1995 Constituency Assembly (CA) that debated and passed the 1995 Constitution. The organization’s mission is to promote gender equality in all areas of decision making through Capacity Development, Community Empowerment, Policy Engagement and Strategic Partnerships.
Job Summary: The Program Officer, Communications is tasked with implementing the organisations communication strategy, ensuring her visibility and maintaining relations with the media. The incumbent will also be responsible for overseeing the recruitment, development and servicing of the organisation’s membership.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, recommend, and implement communications strategies that increase traditional and new media coverage of FOWODE and media opportunities for FOWODE leadership and staff.
- Expand FOWODE’s network of media contacts and increase visibility of FOWODE with opinion leaders.
- Establish and maintain FOWODE’s website and internet presence as an invaluable source of information on democracy and good governance issues broadly and on the work of FOWODE specifically for the general public, media, academics, activists and other organizations that support FOWODE’s mission. This includes gathering information from all program activities and collating it for the website.
- Provide a consistent, high-quality public image of the organization, including ensuring organization- wide adherence to FOWODE messages and style, and providing final proofreading and copyediting approval of all communications and program materials for external distribution.
- Manage FOWODEs quarterly newsletter, Speak, and ensure its timely production.
- Spearhead the organisation’s branding ensuring quality and consistency in production and usage of all communication and promotional materials
- Ensure production and circulation of media advisories, radio messages, press releases, letters to the editor, op-eds; coordinate press and public events; make press calls; track press outreach; maintain institutional records for media outreach,; maintain files for external correspondence and organizational feedback related to communications.
- Develop databank of FOWODEs work including resource materials, media clips (print and electronic), photos, videos and ensure easy accessibility by the organisation’s internal and external stakeholders
- With relevant staff, develop and implement distribution strategies for all FOWODE publications, fact sheets and policy briefs and other published materials.
- Stay abreast with critical issues of relevance to the organization in the operating environment and ensure timely and effective relay of information to staff.
- Actively contribute to planning of and arrangement for FOWODE events
- Take charge of the organisation’s membership including recruitment, development, and general servicing
- Mentor and supervise the IT officer and the librarian
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Programmes and the Management Team
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Program Officer, Communications vacancy should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, international communications, public relations, or a combination of relevant academic qualifications and experience is required
- A minimum of two years’ experience in communication-related work in an NGO
- Broad knowledge and understanding of gender equality and human rights issues and ability to translate these into program development;
- Experience in the field of communications, PR and marketing is an asset
- Analytical skills, critical and strategic thinking
- Organizational skills
- Able to support documentation of lessons learnt
- Teamwork – Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Ability to deliver quality results
- Computer literacy and high level of familiarity and use of electronic formats and social media
- Excellent English verbal and written communications skills, including drafting and editorial skills for online publication and ability to communicate effectively
- Commitment to the vision and mission of FOWODE
- Effective time management
- Self drive and initiative
- Proactive and result-oriented
- Innovation and creativity