Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid Jobs : Project Legal Assistant
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Humanitarian Initiative
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Uganda
Provides specific legal assistance to the assigned Legal officer and office in the provision of direct legal support to victims
Funding Source: UNHCR
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Legal Officer
Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA) is an international African humanitarian and development organization that positively contributes towards improving the living standards and conditions of those adversely affected by disasters and conflict in the Horn, East & Central Africa by implementing WASH, Health, Education, Livelihoods, Community service & development and Protection programs in the region for a period of more than 20 years.
About UNHCR Project:
HIJRA with funding from the UNHCR in Uganda is implementing a multi-sectoral Program for refugees in Oruchinga settlement (Isingiro district), Nakivale settlement (Isingiro district) and Nyakabande Transit Center (Kisoro district).
Job Summary: The Legal Assistant provides specific legal assistance to the assigned Legal officer and office in the provision of direct legal support to victims of forced migration and in carrying out policy advocacy on forced migration. The Legal Assistant also provides technical support to in relation to Legal work through an active contribution in defining Legal priorities on research, partnership, alliance building and advocacy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In relation to Legal protection, ensuring the protection of populations of concern is met through the application of the relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles
- Ensuring that protection incidents are immediately identified and addressed.
- Ensure the people of concern have access to legal and fair hearing in court through court follow ups, prison monitoring etc.
- The incumbent will also sensitize the Community and Local authorities on Refugee law and Human Rights relating to refugees and others persons of concern to UNHCR, in order to ensure that national legislation is in compliance with International Legal Standards.
- Send analytical reports of Legal protection related trends and issues are produced on a monthly and ad hoc basis
- Keep abreast with political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on Legal protection related issues
- Actively promote International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct
- Assists in dealing with police concerning asylum-seekers and refugees to provide them protection to remain safely in country of asylum.
- Refers refugees/asylum seekers to OPM/Police to legalize their stay in the country.
- Provide follow up to court cases involving asylum seekers/refugees, visits judges, public prosecutors, and explains IC’s refugee status. If necessary arranges for a lawyer.
- Guides on domestic legal issues including immigration and alien laws regarding asylum seekers/refugees.
- Provide counseling to asylum seekers/refugees on their legal problems. Explain legislation and their status in order to act accordingly.
- Advocate for legal aid services from the different legal aid service providers and Pro bono services from legal practitioners for the purpose of disposing of refugee cases at court
- Assists in assessing welfare and providing assistance to the refugee caseload in prisons.
- Compiles monthly statistics of refugees in various prisons in the region.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of legal related activities within the newly established protection response framework
- Providing capacity building to RWCs and community members.
- From time to undertake any other duty assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the HIJRA Legal Assistant job opportunity should hold a degree in Law (with specialization in criminal or human rights or any other related comparable line of specialization in law)
- A minimum of three years of work experience in the same field of development and humanitarian work and NGOs.
- Ability to produce high-quality legal documentation.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills and the ability to interact with a number of different partners and contacts, including governmental authorities, UNHCR, victims and their families etc.
- Strong judgments skills are also a necessity
- Ability to act ethically and make moral decisions
- Sociable and open minded
- A person who can keep confidential information
- Broad working knowledge of the local law and be able to grasp new concepts with ease and accuracy
- Good time management skills
- Ability to speak more than one indigenous language would be desirable