International Justice Jobs : Associate Attorney
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: International Justice
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Uganda
International Justice Mission (IJM) Uganda is working to eliminate property grabbing in Uganda by bringing rescue and restoration to individual victims, accountability to their perpetrators, and transformation to the public justice system as a whole. As an Associate Attorney on IJM’s Casework team, you will have the opportunity to bring substantive relief to widows and orphans victimized by property grabbing by intervening in individual cases of violence, deception, and abuse; assisting the Director of Public Prosecutions to charge and prosecute perpetrators; and informing efforts to strengthen the public justice system.
This position is based in Kampala, Uganda and reports to an IJM Staff Attorney.
Casework Intervention and Support
- Assist in evaluating, developing, and implementing intervention strategies for IJM cases.
- Support and encourage State Attorneys in the prosecution of property grabbing perpetrators.
- Assist with mediations, negotiations, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
- Conduct case intake and client screening based on established criteria.
- Conduct legal research, writing, and filing on behalf of IJM clients or as directed.
- Track case related data in paper and electronic case tracking management systems.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Assist IJM clients to obtain Letters of Administration, complete property transfers, and effectuate property distributions.
- Liaise with and pursue action from government offices (Lands Registry, Administrator General, etc).
- Coordinate meetings with relevant parties, attorneys and power actors.
- Coordinate with IJM Investigators to investigate allegations of property grabbing and ensure all evidence is collected in an admissible form.
- Cooperate with IJM Aftercare Specialists in identifying psychosocial needs of victims.
- Assist in hosting guests, visitors, and volunteers.
- Participate in IJM programs in professionalism and Christian spiritual formation.
- Maintain Practicing Certificate and participate in CLEs relevant to IJM’s casework.
- This position requires frequent travel to and from Mukono District and Jinja during work hours.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in law, successful completion of LDC and current Practicing Certificate.
- Two or more years of experience as a practicing attorney or legal assistant preferred.
- Excellent critical thinking, legal analysis, and oral and written advocacy skills.
- Fluency in English and Luganda, with excellent writing and speaking in both.
- Computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Experience in land transactions, succession matters, or criminal litigation preferred.
- Driver’s License preferred.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed.
- Passionate commitment to IJM’s mission and values.
- Professional in demeanor, appearance, writing and oral communication.
- Works well under stress with a sustained positive attitude.
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity.
- Intelligent, organized, creative and proactive problem solver.