Mercy Corps Jobs in Uganda : Gender Officer
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Mercy Corps
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Uganda
Duty Station: Uganda
Mercy Corps is an international non-profit organization which implements high-quality, analytical development programmes in very difficult places. Mercy Corps has been operating in Uganda since 2006. It has and continues to implement programs in Acholi and Karamoja sub regions. Mercy Corps is taking a community-led, market driven approach to address poverty and food insecurity needs through interventions that get to the root causes and contributing factors of economic vulnerability. Donors include the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), DFID, Mastercard Foundation, WALMART Foundation, Coca Cola Africa Foundation, US Depart of State (DOS) /PEPFAR, and Nike Foundation.
About BRACED Mercy Corps:
BRACED Mercy Corps is a consortium led by Mercy Corps that includes TANGO Intl, Makerere University, University of Nairobi and Wajir South Development Association (WASDA). BRACED Mercy Corps is being implemented in northern Uganda (Karamoja) as well as northern Kenya (Wajir County). The BRACED Mercy Corps programme is designed around three integrated thematic focus areas – Natural Resource Management and Lands, Market Systems Development and Governance and Gender Mainstreaming.
Job Summary: The Gender Officer will be tasked with the direct implementation of activities in target communities. Activities center on village level groups in which Gender Officers will mobilize, manage and ensure quality of activities. The Gender Officer will be responsible for activities related to male-only platforms, boys and girls safe space group formation and monitoring, education/advocacy of women groups, community education and barazas and gender research activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Team Leaders to develop detailed quarterly, monthly and weekly workplans
- Complete required paperwork in order to execute activities on time and of high quality, including development of concept notes on specific activities with associated timeline and budget
- Regularly monitor community based groups Kitogogong Eres working across the Markets, NRM, Lands and Governance teams to ensure activities compliment and build upon each other
- 75%+ travel to the field including Napak and Moroto Districts
- Maintain positive working relationships with District and Sub County level Gender Officers, coordinators of womens networks, and other stakeholders, representing Mercy Corps in coordination meetings and solicitating participation in select activities
- Ensure close coordination and sharing of information with District Officials, NGOs and local authorities as appropriate and advised by Team Leader and Program Manager
- Make recommendations for incorporating a gender perspective into sectoral work
- The incumbent will communicate the organizations commitment to gender equity, and the rationale for it, to staff and stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Gender Officer career opportunity should preferably hold a Bachelors degree in gender and development, womens studies, masculinity studies, sociology, law or a related field
- At least three years of professional experience in the field of gender and development
- Familiarity with tools of gender mainstreaming, including gender analysis
- First-hand knowledge of gender dynamics in Karamoja is a must, as well as a basic understanding of the gender legal and policy framework in Uganda
- Show commitment to womens rights, human rights and social justicd
- Working knowledge and experience in GBV prevention and response
- Demonstrated skills in networking, collaboration, education, community consultations and organizational development
- Ability to ride a motorcycle and in possession of a valid driving/riding license
- A strong team player with good communication and diplomatic skills
- Very good analytical and information management skills
- Good organizational skills and ability to work under/manager stress
- Flexible and creative in planning and problem solving
- Keen attention to detail, ability to follow procedures and meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members
- Skill in maintaining professional internal and external relationships
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information both for the staff and the organization
How to Apply
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their E-mail applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Mercy Corps Uganda to: [email protected]
Deadline: 13th January 2017