Soccer Without Borders Jobs in Uganda : Program Director
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Soccer Without Borders
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Uganda
SWB is seeking a hard-working, creative advocate of Sport for Development to join our team. The Director will oversee all aspects of SWB programming.
SWB Overview: Soccer Without Borders is a non-profit organization that uses soccer as a vehicle for positive change, providing under-served youth with the tools and strategies to overcome obstacles to growth, inclusion, and personal success. Since its founding in 2006, SWB has built collaborative programs in the USA and abroad. We currently serve more than 2,000 youth annually through six programs in three countries.
SWB’s Uganda program started 8 years ago. SWB Uganda operates year-round, six days/week, delivering soccer, education, civic engagement, team-building, life-skills, and cultural exchange activities to more than 200 refugee youth daily. SWB Uganda specifically serves refugee youth who do not have access to formal schooling. We aim to address some of the gaps in refugee education in Kampala through daily English and life-skills classes. To address the specific challenges that refugee girls face, we also run a Girls Empowerment Program each week.
SWB Staff Overview: SWB staff are a passionate, hard-working, energetic team of people. Our core values – authenticity, process-oriented, and a focus on the whole person – underpin all that we do. We recruit staff who are dedicated to contributing to a positive working environment and who are impassioned by the idea that every young person deserves the chance to realize their full potential.
Description of Director’s Role: The SWB Uganda Director position is a full-time, 40 hour/week position located in Nsambya, Kampala. The Director is responsible for overseeing SWB programming, providing direct management to staff, ensuring responsible administration of funds, and developing and maintaining collaborative partnerships. This position will also focus on increasing local capacity and transitioning SWB Uganda from an international NGO to a Ugandan NGO. The Uganda Director will report directly to SWB Executive Director and will collaborate with the SWB Uganda team as well as headquarters staff located in the USA.
- Program Management (Approximately 75%):
- Manage a staff of 10 coaches and facilitators who are a mix of Ugandan nationals, refugees from the region, and Americans.
- Implement, oversee and monitor daily activities to ensure quality and effectiveness of SWB programming
- Oversee funds, manage budget, and provide financial documentation
- Liaise with US based staff regarding program needs, grant applications and reports, fundraising efforts, staff contracts, etc.
- Program Sustainability (Approximately 25%):
- Launch a local Board of Directors, liaising with legal support, compiling the necessary program documents, and communicating progress with SWB USA to shift our status as a foreign NGO to local NGO.
- Develop and strengthen current and potential local partners
- Identify and address areas for greater efficiency of programming
- Compile recommendations for in-country revenue generation and implement relevant efforts.
Desired Candidate: SWB seeks a Director who is communicative, proactive, detail-oriented, and inclusive in their approach to management and programming. The Director must be able to prioritize and take initiative independently, meet deadlines, and us creative problem-solving strategies to overcome problems and create opportunities. The Director must be dedicated to ensuring the sustainability of SWB Uganda through quality programming, responsible fiscal oversight, effective partnerships, and staff development. She or he must be committed to the overall mission of SWB and be willing to immerse her/himself in the community of Nsambya, gaining an understanding of and connection to the refugee community there.
Qualifications – Skills and Experience
- Strong oral & written English communication skills required (will be tested)
- Fluency in Luganda and/or Swahili required
- Previous Management experience highly desired (2-5 years in a professional environment strongly prefered)
- Previous experience working with an NGO/non-profit organization highly desired
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from varying backgrounds (different cultures, languages, faiths, sexual orientations, ages, etc.)
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint required
- Experience creating and managing budgets, including financial reporting/documentation
- Experience planning and leading workshops and staff meetings, and comfortable representing SWB with the larger community
- Prior work with a board of directors strongly preferred
- University degree or the equivalent in work experience (4+ years), preferably in an area related to management, accounting/finance, development, human rights etc.
Time and Compensation: The SWB Uganda Director position is a full-time, 40 hour/week position, with a minimum of 1 year (12 month) commitment beginning in early 2017. Salary is based on experience.
How to Apply
Application Process: Please send an email introduction, cover letter and resume with two references to Steven Davis, [email protected] This position is open to Ugandan nationals and refugees only.