Electricity Generation Company Ltd Jobs in Uganda : Sociologist
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative Jobs in Uganda
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd was incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act, 2012 on the basis of the Public Enterprises Reform and Divestiture Act, Cap 98 and Electricity Act, Cap 145 respectively. UEGCL is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda. UEGCL’s key role is to – carry on the business of electric power generation and sale within Uganda or for export to neighbouring countries; build, operate and maintain Electricity Generation Plants; monitor the operation and maintenance of its Concessioned Assets – Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations; provide Technical Support as and when required by the Government of the Republic of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development; organize, support, encourage and maintain training facilities in technical and related fields, amongst others.
Job Summary: The Sociologist will primarily ensure UEGCL projects and power plants are implemented in a sustainable and safe manner while compliant with environmental and social laws, regulations and standards, and development partner environment and social safeguard policies, and social acceptability of projects.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiate, develop and implement UEGCL project social management plans, including Resettlement Action Plans (RAP), Community Development Action Plans (CDAP), Labour Force Management Plans (LFMP), Community Health and Safety Plans (CHSP) and Livelihood Restoration Plans (LRP), Emergency Preparedness Plans, Health and Safety Management Plans, Cultural Heritage Management Plans (CHMP)
- Keenly review project documents related to land acquisition, resettlement, livelihood restoration, and community development to ensure compliance with national statutory requirements and development partners safeguard policies.
- Review social impact assessments for planned UEGCL projects, and social audits for ongoing projects to ensure compliance with national regulatory requirements and social safeguard policies of development partners.
- Prepare and submit progress reports regarding implementation of community development action plans, resettlement action plans, and livelihood restoration.
- Review Contractor Environment and Social Management Plans (CESMPs) for compliance with projects’ ESIA, ESMP, NEMA approval certificates and permits issued by lead agencies, and requirements of development partners
- Implement Stakeholder Engagement Plans, including updating stakeholders on the progress of implementation of the ESMPs
- Implement a grievance management system for projects implementation and ensure follow up of grievances to closure
- Take part in monitoring works implementation to ensure compliance with national laws and development partners’ social safeguards policies, and ensuring labour and gender issues are addressed
- Review and verify progress reports by service providers during preparation and implementation of RAP, LRP and CDAP and provide feedback to strengthen their implementation.
- Conduct community mobilization, sensitization and awareness campaigns towards successful implementation of hydropower projects
- Participate in contractor community liaison activities, and ensure they are responsive to local needs or grievances
- Initiate, develop and implement UEGCL projects community outreach activities, including environment, health and HIV/AIDS sensitization campaigns
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold an honours Bachelor’s degree in Social Work and Social Administration, Development studies, Sociology and Anthropology.
- Possession of post-graduate degree in project management field is an added advantage
- Post graduate training in land acquisition, resettlement and livelihood restoration, and in environmental and social impact assessments is an added advantage
- At least three years’ working experience in implementation of infrastructure ESMPs, social impact assessments, land acquisition and resettlement, and community based projects or similar environment
- Extensive knowledge of Ugandan legislation and World Bank, IFC environment and social safeguard policies
- Previous experience in contractor supervision or monitoring social, safety and health aspects of hydropower or any other large infrastructure projects at similar level.
- Prior exposure and experience in qualitative and quantitative research in impact monitoring and evaluation of livelihood restoration programs
- Extensive knowledge of Ugandan legislation governing labour and employment.
- Strong communication, facilitation and presentation skills- possession of exemplary verbal communication skills and ability to address groups of people, small or large and must be able to fluently communicate in at least two widely spoken local languages
- Good understanding and appreciation of project appraisal skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal and excellent team-building skills, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills
- Willingness to work under adverse field conditions both within Kampala and up country
- Computer literacy
- The position involves making timely decision under pressure and also involves high level of integrity, due care and caution
- Age: Below 40 years
How to Apply
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with copies of their academic documents and detailed CVs indicating two referees and their full addresses physically to:
The Chief Human Resource Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL),
Block C, Plot 6-9 Victoria Office park, Okot Close, Bukoto,
P.O. Box 75831, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 2nd October 2017