Fleet Assistant at International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Company: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Location: Uganda
- State: UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics Jobs in Uganda
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. It was created by Albert Einstein more than 80 years and has been working in Uganda since 1998. It has particularly working in the conflict zones where tens of thousands of people have been kills and over 1.6 million displaced. Following a peace agreement in 2006, Ugandans are returning home and looking to rebuild their lives. The IRC is there to protect women and children from violence and exploitation by fostering a safe environment and encouraging education, and is supporting farmers and small businesses, and helping communities promote peace and long-term development.
The Fleet Assistant is responsible for the efficient coordination and management of all transport, fleet, and equipment management functions for IRC’s office in Arua. The position will also be responsible for the implementation of good fleet management practices and policy across all the field sites
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Supply Chain manager/officer to design a suitably staffed and equipped transport function to support the IRC’s vehicle operations and policies.
- Implement and direct IRC standard Vehicle policies and procedures, with attention to safety and security issues.
- Manage and be accountable for the vehicle fleet, ordering and inventory management of all vehicle related parts and consumables, including fuel.
- Evaluate, manage and monitor drivers.
- Focal point for all purchases in Transport department. Raising PRs for vehicles spare parts and vehicle repairs.
- Manage the vehicle pool (if applicable).
- Ensure that appropriate communications equipment is installed and functioning in IRC vehicles to meet the operational and security requirements.
- Ensure the correct and timely routine maintenance and repair of IRC vehicles and generators.
- Ensure that all vehicles carry the required on-board documentation and that all documents are kept current (including insurance).
- Inspect and record condition of vehicles, by maintaining weekly checklists file and ensuring that Vehicles logbooks are accurately filled
- Carry out regular training to all drivers on basic vehicle mechanic skills, daily vehicle inspection, drills on safety driving, defensive driving, use of Codan, etc.
- Ensure all vehicles are properly cleaned on daily basis.
- Prepare weekly and monthly report on transport department and discuss with Supply Chain manager
- Signing on vehicle fuel forms for refueling and keeping accurate record and monitoring system on fuel consumption.
- Work with the Supply Chain Coordinator to ensure that vehicles are prepared for routine and emergency security requirements.
- Ensure that all vehicles are secure when not in use.
- Be familiar with local regulations / laws.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
- Provide on-time, standard monthly reports to the Supply Chain Manager/officer, including fuel consumption report, maintenance report and any other reports requested by Supervisor.
- Well maintained fleet and good filing system for all vehicles
- Generate and / or maintain comprehensive price list for spare parts
- Maintain full and accurate inventory records for warehouses, assets and furniture
- Conduct documented quarterly job performance reviews of Transport staff, providing appropriate feedback.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) Fleet Assistant job must hold a valid driving license
- At least two years’ work experience in fleet management, at least one year in a supervisory capacity
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Team spirit and problem-solving abilities.
- Knowledge of generic transport procedures and practices (IRC or NGO experience advantageous).
- Competent in spoken and written English
- Mechanical background is a plus
- Good mathematical skills.
- Competent use of PC especially spreadsheets.
- Experience in Using HF/VHF radios
Method of Application
Deadline: 4th April 2020