Head Human Capital at Stanbic Bank
- Company: Stanbic Bank
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Uganda
Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is a subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited which is in turn owned by Standard Bank Group Limited (“the Group”), Africa’s leading banking and financial services group. The Standard Bank Group is the leading banking group focused on emerging markets. It is the largest African banking group ranked by assets and earnings. Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is the largest bank in Uganda by assets and market capitalization. It offers a full range of banking services through two business units; Personal and Business Banking (PBB), and Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB).
Job Summary: The Head Human Capital will provide strategic direction to Country Leadership on all country Human Capital (HC) requirements. Align the Human Capital strategy for the country, to that of the business product lines and Group HC Strategy. Provide leadership to the Human Capital team CIB, PBB, Wealth and Corporate functions in a unionised environment within the Standard Bank Group. Be an active member of the country executive team and delegate to the Country bank board.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Drive the Human Capital strategy to support achievement of the business strategy
- Define annual and long-term people plans for the country business plan aligned to product line or group corporate functions by interpreting group business line priorities. Work with executive teams in the business (Country) and Human Capital function to refine, interpret, refine and embed their strategic plans into tactical operational plans.
- Proactively considering current and future business plans for expansion, market changes, process and system changes, review the organisation design of the area. Engage with business unit product line executives to look for opportunities to create better alignment between the operation structure of the country and the strategy of the product and business line.
- Anticipate the people impact of process, operating model, technology or leadership changes. Develop detailed plans for the Human Capital team to manage the change effectively in the business. Act as trusted advisor to the senior decision makers on the change approach and the risks associated. Oversee the implementation of the change plans.
- Review the business architecture in place in the business area in consultation with Group HC Centre of Expertise and HC Leadership to determine areas for improvement. Engage with internal or external resources to conduct detailed diagnostics on efficiency, skills or effectiveness. Analyse the results and advise business unit leaders on the adjustments that could be made.
Advise and guide business unit decision makers on people practices
- For the country and business unit product lines individually, review the overall mix of grade levels, competency levels, resource types (perm and non-perm), cost of resources as well as skills levels. Benchmark against industry and international country norms. Identify areas for improvement and work with the executives in the business and Group to highlight where change may be needed. Programme manage the delivery of the change.
- Partner with finance to ensure headcount and budget is accurate. Assist in compiling business cases where additional headcount is required due to business changes or transitioning of work with digitisation where appropriate.
- Define a need for internal and external talent maps for recruitment or talent development purposes. Contract the development of the talent maps with internal talent or resourcing teams or make recommendations to outsource the mapping to third party providers within the Group.
- Prepare line managers to represent the bank at regulatory enquiries, labour councils and board meetings. Participate in union negotiations for wages, engagement on working conditions, structural changes and revision of employee benefits. Present employee relations measures and status update on trends with the business at the senior leadership country forums.
- Participate in the selection of key business unit executives and senior positions by forming part of interview panels and providing a view on the culture fit of applicants.
- On an annual basis, as part of strategic workforce planning, define the business appetite for using non-permanent resources with the business executives. Periodically review actuals against these targets.
- Review the effectiveness of on boarding practices in the business and determine key metrics and measurements (for example first year leavers) to monitor these. Participate in the on boarding of executives and senior management in the country.
- Conduct exit interviews for members of the business unit executive team, senior management and talent pools, whether they exit voluntarily or involuntarily. Review exit interview analysis for the business unit to determine if there are any flagged risk indicators. Arrange investigations for areas that are concerning.
- Drive formal succession planning for the critical positions at leadership level. Interact with the bigger organisation in creating an organisational pipeline of available successors. As part of the talent review sessions, develop successor development plans. Work with the Talent team to ensure that identified talent is represented on executive workshops and other talent development interventions.
- Approve terms of international assignments for incoming and outgoing assignees.
- Review appropriateness of learning plans for the country in consultation with product lines, and corporate functions to integrate a country learning strategy and plan. Provide strategic and tactical direction as to the learning priorities for the medium to long term for the product line or corporate functions. Take into consideration future talent needs organisation wide and determine whether future skills and capabilities would be brought in or built internally.
Oversee governance of Human Capital processes
- Drive and direct the country business goal setting in line with the product lines and corporate functions area goals. Review the appropriateness of goals set for the business area’s senior team by reviewing a sample of the performance contracts and advising executives and senior management on areas of improvement.
- Advise the business executives on appropriate performance distribution for their business considering business financial and non-financial results. Drive the Perform to grow and moderation process at executive and senior management level.
- Review the effectiveness of the performance improvement processes in place in the country, including the length of the interventions, the impact on individual performance and the closure processes. Take ultimate accountability for the governance process surrounding these processes as well as the documentation and evidence required.
- Translate the country strategic business objectives into remuneration focus areas for the country but within the overall reward philosophy and framework set out by the Standard Bank Group. Incorporate business unit specific requirements. At a group level, challenge the frameworks and guidelines if they are not conducive to improving business performance.
- Analyse and oversee payroll cost against the productivity and business performance measures in the business and engage with executives and line managers in the areas where there is a mismatch between payroll cost and business performance changes in partnership with Finance.
- Together with the country executives, participate in the negotiations for the bonus and increase pool allocations for the product lines and corporate functions. Facilitate, challenge and support grievance processes in this regard.
- Oversee the Beyond Excellence and the Mark of Excellence nomination and recognition process.
- Review the cost of non-permanent resources and advise the business where non-perm costs are not in line with workforce plans or where concerns are arising in terms of labour regulations for non-perm staff.
- Review the effectiveness of the talent process in the business area. Adjust in the process but within overall Group standards. Nominate executives and senior line management for coaching and other leadership development. Work with Learning and Development with the selection of appropriate coaches for individuals in line with the approved list of coaches.
- Drive the Human Capital calendar in the country. Ensure that line managers and decision makers are proactively briefed at the start of major events in the Human Capital calendar (for example when the annual remuneration process start).
- Oversee all HC Capital processes in Shared Services with accountability for all HC Audits performed. Addressing adverse ratings on audit findings through implementation of action plans to address the non-compliance. Continuous focus on minimising HC related risks through implementation of quality assurance a good governance
- Work with Group Vendor Management to determine acceptable rate ranges and terms of conditions for non-permanent resources.
- Provide input and attend Board meetings as required.
- Act as member of Employee Benefit Committees administered by 3rd party providers. This include monitoring and managing risks and participating in review of benefits
- Manage relationships with external stakeholders including Unions, Labour departments and External Regulatory bodies impacting on the management of employees in country. This will include leading negotiations with Unions that form part of the collective bargaining unit and consulting with other Unions where required by Country Labour Legislation.
- Ensure that processes, control requirements and risk management frameworks that are in place for the area are understood by all members of the team.
- Ensure compliance with and adoption of applicable labour and or regulatory requirements
- Review assurance and audit reports that relate to the area and contribute to the development and implementation of remediation plans.
- Ensure that all evidence requirements for control reviews and audits are supplied timeously.
- Log Risk Incidents because of operational errors or fraud in the department. Participate in formal investigations. Ensure that all events are properly analysed and closed out.
- Ensure that the teams understand the compliance requirements in the function. Create actions to address gaps. Monitor compliance training attendance monthly and ensure that teams understand the importance of completing it.
- In collaboration with Compliance ensure that the country team has trained and adequate numbers of health and safety representatives.
Provide analytics on people matters with a clear translation into business drivers and the impact thereof
- Prepare and monitor country People reports and dashboards and highlight risks associated. Work with the business unit management team to ascertain what interventions need to be introduced for corrective action or to prevent further decline.
- Participate in the development of key indicators and metrics for the Human Capital function by collaborating with peers from other business areas as well as the central business intelligence team.
- Maximise the distribution and use of standard, system-generated reports.
- Recommend changes and possible solutions and provide advice on interventions to remediate concerning trends.
- Manage the optimisation of HC systems and processes to optimise efficiency and effectiveness.
Lead a Human Capital team
- Work with the country HC team to achieve desired business results through continuous improvement and mentoring activities.
- Monitor the implementation of the performance process in the team and apply it rigorously to direct reports. Coach the team on how to conduct effective performance discussions.
- Analyse management and technical development needs of the team.
- Maintain a succession plan for the management team using the Talent Management process for strategically critical roles and an informal process for the remaining roles.
- With support from the Regional HC Head and Human Capital Business Partner, interview and hire direct reports. Support managers with their recruitment decisions on request.
- Review workforce and headcount plans for the team including requests for headcount changes. Approve/decline headcount within overall mandate.
- Ensure that all HC employees have leave plans in place.
- Review key people metrics in the Human Capital team – attrition, vacancy rates, reasons for leaving, absence rates, grievances etc. and define strategies to improve the working environment if the indicators show adverse trends.
- Act as second level escalation point for grievances raised. Participate as decision maker in selected disciplinary processes.
- Manage the HC team budget through the planning of resource requirements for the Human Capital team including people, capital expenditure, operational budgets, systems, change requirements and long-term investments. Monitor overall budgets for the area. Approve items within mandate Provide guidance to business on budgeting for employee related expenses.
- Negotiate and secure the allocation of the resources to the business area. Ensure delivery against the promised business results.
- Translate product line strategies and subsequent corporate function support into meaningful strategic focus areas for the Human Capital team. Ensure that focus areas are communicated and understood in all departments.
- Work with assurance teams and internal audit to scope reviews and audits. Own and agree remedial actions for audit findings.
- Ensure that the teams understand compliance requirements. Call for support from the Compliance Officer when required.
- Ensure that managers understand their responsibilities for physical and systems access control.
- Review health and safety measures at least annually.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the Stanbic Bank Head Human Capital job must hold an Honors Degree with field of study in Business Commerce
- PGD studies in Human Resources or MBA preferred qualification
- Membership of relevant Country specific Professional Bodies/Forums/Communities of Practice preferred
- At least ten years of experience in Human Capital
- Oversight and understanding of multiple areas within the Human Capital value chain
- 5-7 years of experience in the financial services industry
- 3-4 years of experience managing teams
Method of Application
All candidates are strongly encouraged to apply online at the link below.