Partner Safeguarding Advisor at Catholic Relief Services
- Company: Catholic Relief Services
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: International Jobs in Uganda
Job Title: Partner Safeguarding Advisor
Department: Technical Programming
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Country/Location: EARO-KE-Nairobi City
About Catholic Relief Services:
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
This position is open for international telecommuting or nationals from Ethiopia, Kenya, Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania and Uganda.
The Partner Safeguarding Advisor will ensure quality implementation of CRS safeguarding policy with partners though capacity building efforts and technical guidance to CRS staff, partner organizations and affiliates, in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices. Your advice, knowledge, and support will contribute to effective, adaptive and innovative work on Partner Safeguarding within CRS’ work in East Africa.
This position is open for international telecommuting or nationals from Ethiopia, Kenya, Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania and Uganda. .
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
• In coordination with CRS East Africa regional and country focal points, and in particular partner safeguarding focal points, ensure timely and quality implementation of safeguarding capacity strengthening support for local partners to:
• Provide technical assistance including training, accompaniment and mentoring to country program staff involved in partner safeguarding capacity building;
• Oversee the technical design and implementation of appropriate efforts to strengthen partner safeguarding capacity, including delivering training of trainers, development/review of curricula, templates and activities, etc.;
• Provide technical assistance to country programs to help partners operationalize safeguarding policies (e.g. organizational policies, CoCs, complaints systems, reporting and investigation procedures, etc.) Support may include: sharing examples and templates from CRS or Caritas Internationalis, facilitating experience sharing and linkages with other partners, coordinating with HRD and/or Ethics Unit for guidance and review;
• Maintain regular communication channels with and among all field-based staff involved in partner safeguarding capacity building in EARO to share learning, challenges, successes and tools;
• Potentially support partners during times of allegations and/or investigations, at the request of the Ethics Unit.
• Support reviews/evaluations of partner capacity and policies against safeguarding policy minimum standards and provide technical support to update relevant policies and develop of capacity building plans to address gaps in capacity and systems;
• Coordinate with relevant CRS teams, including the Ethics Unit, Risk/Compliance, Gateway, and HRD, regarding safeguarding support, monitoring, and reporting to ensure complementarity of effort;
• Support CRS country program team in designing and implementing relevant safeguarding mitigation measures in projects and programs, with a particular focus on programs that engage/work with highly vulnerable populations (ex. children/youth, refugees, survivors of trafficking, etc.);
• Document and share project learning, best practices, and experiences in safeguarding initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings
• Good strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
• Good technical writing skills
• Presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
• Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity
• Models Stewardship
• Cultivates Constructive Relationships
• Promotes Learning
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in Social Work, Public Health, Psychology, International Development or another related field required. Additional experience may substitute for some education;
• Minimum of five years relevant work experience with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of two years relevant field-based experience in safeguarding, protection and/or partner capacity building;
• Experience in mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training applying adult learning principles and practices;
• Experience with program monitoring and evaluation, including applying data collection tools and methodologies, data analysis, and data presentation;
• Proven ability to work with partner agencies, including peer organizations and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles;
• Knowledge of technical principles, concepts and international standards in Safeguarding;
• Experienced trainer of adults and multi-cultural groups;
• Knowledge of capacity strengthening best practices and partnership building;
• Experienced in establishing feedback and response mechanisms an asset;
• Good experience in project management, including project design, preferably for grants from public donors, including USAID.
• Experience engaging with partner organizations
• MEAL skills and experience required.
• Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
• Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Required/Desired Foreign Language:
• Excellent professional communications skills, with language proficiency in oral and written English.
• Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Partner staff
CRS East Africa Regional Office (EARO) and HQ as needed
External: Will work with consortium partners under the KCHS Activity, government stakeholders at national and local government level, USG partners including clinical partners and the donor (USAID)
Job application procedure
This job description is not an exhaustive list of skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NOTE: To apply, please follow these instructions exactly otherwise your application will NOT be considered:
• Email a cover letter and CV only to [email protected] by November 27th, 2020 at 5:00pm.
• Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application, in the subject line of the email, copy and paste – PARTNERSAFEGUARDINGADVISOR only
• All applications that do not contain this exact subject line will be rejected and not read
ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED. EOE/M/F/D/V