Protection Officer – Community Services at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
- Company: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
- Location: Uganda
- State: UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative Jobs in Uganda - NGO Jobs in Uganda
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
The Protection Officer – Community Services will ensure quality protection outcomes by catalyzing community actions around the PSNs, providing direct support to PSNs, and drawing from synergy with the larger community protection components
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Project development, implementation and reporting
- Under the supervision of the Protection Team Leader, contribute in drafting concept papers and proposal development
- Identify gaps in terms of protection and community services and generate ideas to address them with strong impact for the beneficiaries.
- Participate in PSN profiling and ongoing risks analysis in order to design adequate responses.
- Ensure quality data collection, analysis and storage in line with the Protection Information Management principles.
- Ensure daily implementation of community based protection sub sector activities as planned
- Ensure a daily monitoring of protection trend in the settlement.
- Make sure that all community services projects adhere to the standards and or principles of the respective thematic areas as well as DRC guidelines and accountability standards.
- Contribute in preparation of monthly and weekly activity and spending plans.
- Proactively contribute to quality and timely implementation of community based protection sub sector activities as planned
- Contribute in drafting weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual and other reports.
- Spontaneously draft and share flash reports on major protection incidents and risks
Coordination and representation
- Develop relationships with a range of key stakeholders, Local Government and other stakeholders on the community services thematic areas at the field level in close liaison with the Protection Team Leader.
- Representation of DRC and active participation in the local Community Services working groups and any other meeting as requested.
- Close co-ordination in project implementation with partners (UN agencies and national/international NGOs), including referrals, community services gap analysis, advocacy.
- Work closely with the other program components to maximize program output and impact.
Staff development and management
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the community services assistants, help desk workers and community-based structures within the operational area.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets and appraise them based on the set targets.
- Conduct daily field visits to support Community based workers – mentoring – through technical back stopping and to train duty bearers.
- Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles on accountability.
Support management team to:
- Follow up all DRC / DDG Procedures for Security, Finance, Logistics, HR and Administration.
- Uphold DRC’s international code of conduct and principles of accountability.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Actively contribute to the daily quality implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects and interventions.
- Identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on implementation of project’s action points
- Assist in participatory needs/vulnerability and capacity assessments of affected communities
- Participate in project evaluations and assist in the analysis of results.
- On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimally.
- Adhere to DRC’s code of conduct
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Protection Officer – Community Services job must hold a University degree in social sciences, development studies, social works and social administration, guidance and counselling or relevant fields.
- At least three years’ experience working with vulnerable communities, basic needs and protection programming experience, and/or advocacy programs.
- Training in Protection Community Services.
- Experience in protection interventions in line with Refugees operation with PSN assistance.
- Experience of working with UN or Non‐Governmental organizations.
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken) is essential.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness
- Computer skills.
- Good self-organization and basic management skills.
- Familiarity with Monitoring & Evaluation for UN-funded projects desired.
- Languages: Knowledge of the local languages spoken by South Soudanese and Congolese refugee is an asset.
Method of Application
Deadline: 2 April 2020