Protection Officer at International Rescue Committee
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: International Rescue Committee
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Uganda
The Protection Officer will be responsible for providing direct support for the implementation of protection monitoring, protection case management and follow ups, operating Information and Support Centers (ISCs); Persons of Specific Needs a (PSNs) identification and support. She/he will supervise the activities of Protection Assistants in the field to ensure timely and successfully implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts protection information and awareness sessions (community dialogues).
- Collaborates with the legal team, SGBV, health, and ERD sectors of IRC and other agencies in providing protection related services to refugees and Persons of Concern (PoC).
- Ensures service mapping is complete and continuously updated; referral pathway established and follow up of cases conducted by protection team.
- Liaise with and refer all legal related cases to the legal team for redress.
- Supervises Protection Assistants to effectively carry out their roles.
- Ensure protection case management is done according to established standards while respecting the principle of confidentiality.
- Supports Volunteers in their integration and support to the desk and team.
- Oversees PSN needs assessments and provide appropriate responses ‐ targeted assistance as necessary.
- Conduct regular monitoring and report on the welfare and living conditions of PSNs in the settlement.
- Ensure protection team manages information according to established procedures and respects principles of confidentiality.
- Ensure good coordination with refugee leadership structures (RWCs and Neighborhood watch) and appropriate support provided.
- Appropriately refer protection incidents/events to UNHCR, OPM and relevant partners.
- Participate in Zonal Coordination meetings involving UNHCR, OPM and all partners operating in the Zone.
- Prepare daily/weekly/monthly reports and timely submit to Deputy Protection Manager for review and further actions.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Protection Manager
Position directly supervises: Protection Assistants and Community Based Volunteers
Other internal and/or external contacts
Internal: Community Services Officers and Assistants Officers, Legal Officers,
External: UNHCR, OPM, and other Protection Actors.
- Educated at degree level in the humanities or other relevant field.
- At least two years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international organization.
- Demonstrable knowledge of protection issues and knowledge of refugee context.
- Strong supervisory and organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Comfortable using information technology (Computers, Smartphones and Tablets) and MS Office Word and Excel.
- Proficiency in English (written and verbal)