United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Jobs in Uganda : Associate Protection Officer (Gender Equality)
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Uganda
Position Grade: P2
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Associate Protection Officer (Gender Equality) will be a critical resource in the field. S/he will be responsible for ensuring gender equality and gender-mainstreaming gaps are addressed, and that the various cross-cutting issues (livelihoods, energy, education, WASH, CBI) are strengthened in a manner that increases sustainability and effectiveness of programming, reduces vulnerability, and supports the engagement of the operation in delivering on the core actions outlined in the AGD policy. The JPO assists the Uganda operation by providing operational expertise, technical advice and guidance on the incorporation of gender equality into programming, drawing attention to the needs and protection of women and girls, and supporting monitoring and reporting and knowledge management for country office. In particular, the JPO will provide direct support on the implementation of the UNHCR Policy on AGD 2018 and will liaise with DIP on progress on the five core actions on gender equality, as part of the selected operations engagement as a ‘deep dive’ country. The incumbent will also collaborate closely with other Units in UNHCR, specially Protection, Programme and Resettlement, to ensure gender mainstreaming in UNHCR’s interventions, strengthened operational capacity on gender equality and women’s empowerment, as well as efficient implementation of UNHCR’s projects and accurate reporting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide support in implementing the updated UNHCR Policy on Age Gender and Diversity (2018), with specific focus on the five gender equality core actions.
- Provide direct technical support to the operation on mainstreaming gender equality in the operation management cycle and input into annual planning processes.
- Provide support in the development of tools and guidance, as required, to strengthen operational level work on gender equality programming.
- Assist in the development of strategies to increase gender equality in programming in operations.
- Work closely with the Division of International Protection team on AGD implementation, reporting, and progress as needed.
- Assist in developing the action plan on AGD Core Actions on gender equality.
Support in the monitoring and reporting on UNHCR¿s work on gender equality, including on the updated Age Gender and Diversity policy with specific focus on the five gender equality areas of engagement, UN System-wide Action Plan on Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN SWAP), UN Security Council Resolutions on women peace and security among others.
- Assist in the development and testing of indicators for measurement of AGD implementation.
- Assist in AGD implementation related reporting and the collation, documentation, and wide dissemination of best practices.
- Provide input into reports on policy commitments, including UN SWAP; UN Security Council Resolutions on women, peace and security; UN Secretary-General’s reports; internal reporting requirements including for DIP; and others.
- Advocacy and awareness raising on gender equality in UNHCR and externally, including organizing events such as International Women¿s Day, and workshops.
Assess gender equality related needs and issues, identify gaps and examine areas for strengthened engagement, and develop an actionable work plan to mainstream gender in operation, with special reference to sustainability and cross-cutting areas of engagement (livelihoods, energy, climate, education, health, WASH, etc).
- Facilitate inter-sectoral linkages between gender equality in protection, SGBV, community, livelihoods, shelter and health, among others; both at strategic and programmatic level.
- Coordinate with partners and relevant stakeholders to support access to services (health, education, SGBV mitigation and response¿etc) ensuring that refugee women and girls¿ interests and concerns are understood and included in relevant policies and initiatives.
- Identify and establish partnerships with relevant stakeholders to carry out the work plan.
- Work closely with the Gender Equality Unit at DIP for additional support and to provide update on progress.
Assist in capacity development on gender equality through the development of gender equality trainings, guidance and other tools as required.
- Provide support in the development and delivery of gender equality training for UNHCR staff, partners, and others.
- Assist in the development of trainings, manuals, and other documentation aimed at capacity building to address gaps in protection and assistance of displaced women and girls.
- Facilitate gender equality workshops and training sessions as needed.
Support coordination and partnerships internally, within the UN system, with civil society organisations and in inter-agency bodies.
- Assist with developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating projects in partnership with UNHCR units, divisions, bureaux, UN bodies and civil society organisations.
- Assist with active participation in inter-agency or other bodies.
- Assist in strengthening networks and inter-agency coordination, and expanding partnerships with implementing and operational partners, UN and government counterparts working in relating to gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls
Support programme development and implementation through strong gender equality mainstreaming measures. This can include sectoral and/or programme analysis, identification of areas of support and intervention to strengthen gender equality, and work with partner agencies to mainstream gender considerations, including SGBV prevention and response, within projects and programmes.
- Provide support to develop and/or strengthen collaboration with relevant partners working on the promotion of gender equality, such as UN Women and local/ national partners, with the aim of strengthening comprehensive support to livelihoods, health, education related initiatives targeting women and girls, as well as empowerment and equal representation of women in refugee leadership and other community structures.
- Support in other tasks as needed.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Support provided to programme, protection and others on mainstreaming of gender equality and on AGD implementation, monitoring and reporting.
- Support in capacity development to operations on gender equality.
- Quality inputs delivered into requested internal and external reports.
- Practical good practices, guidance and tools on gender equality as part of the AGD policy operationalization.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Associate Protection Officer (Gender Equality) career opportunity should hold a Master’s degree or equivalent, obtained in a recognised institution (listed under www.whed.net) in social sciences, gender studies, international relations, international development, political sciences or a related field.
- At least two years to maximum 4 years of progressively responsible professional work experience in humanitarian or development work, including 1 year at the international level in the relevant fields. Experience of gender equality programming in a development or humanitarian context is highly desirable.
- Internships, part-time and voluntary work in the relevant fields are counted at a rate of 50%.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in designing; implementing and monitoring; and evaluating gender equality, women¿s empowerment and gender mainstreaming/livelihoods related work with refugees, IDPs and other persons of concern to UNHCR ¿ including work with men and on masculinities as well as with LGBTI persons of concern.
- Training on gender equality and related fields, including on women’s economic empowerment.
- Report writing and editing skills, project management skills, developing and delivering trainings, organizing events.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and team work experience, resilience, respect for diversity and ability to work in an inclusive manner in a wide range of cultural settings.
- Language: Fluency in English is essential. Working knowledge of French is desirable. Working knowledge of another UN language is an asset. (Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Chinese).
How to Apply
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 11th November 2018