United States Peace Corps Jobs in Uganda : Voucher Examiner / Travel Assistant
Welcome to Jobwebuganda.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Uganda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: United States Peace Corps
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
About Peace Corps:
The Peace Corps is an agency of the United States Government, which sends American Volunteer development workers to assist in capacity building and technical assistance activities in over 70 countries worldwide. The United States has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Scott H. DeLisi currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: The Voucher Examiner / Travel Assistant is responsible for all aspects of Peace Corps Uganda voucher examination, preparation of Travel Authorizations and review of Travel vouchers. This is a multi-function position requiring a great degree of planning, flexibility and creativity and a high degree of organization and ethics. Due to the myriad of duties required, the Voucher Examiner / Travel Assistant will need a sense of prioritization, planning and attention to detail and the ability to efficiently juggle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Finance / Voucher Examiner (50%)
- Examines, analyzes, ensures eligibility and recommends for payment a variety of difficult and complex vouchers, including claims against contracts, purchase orders, grants, and complex travel vouchers. Makes independent judgment as to the accuracy and eligibility of the voucher claim presented for payment; ensures that it conforms to the payment provisions set forth in the obligation. Rejects incomplete or invalid voucher claims and returns the documents to vendors.
- Ensures that the request for payment documents are valid and accurate; the expenditures presented for reimbursement are consistent with the terms and conditions as stated in the contracts; and that they are adequately supported by proper and sufficient documentation.
- Ensures that travel and program advance requests are approved in accordance with PC Cash Management Policy and the established standard operating procedures.
- The incumbent scrutinizes vouchers and works directly with the FAs to resolve discrepancies at the lowest level and informs supervisor of unresolved issues.
- Ensures that administrative approvals, justification and/or additional supporting documentation have been obtained prior to processing claimed expenses.
- Ensures that payments are eligible under current PC guidance and made against valid obligations and sufficient funds in ForPost. Analyzes historical payment records of recurring expenses and coordinates with the Financial Assistants to provide any necessary increments/adjustments in obligated amounts.
- Ensures that all invoices are paid on time and in full compliance with the requirements of the Prompt Payment Act. Assists vendors with the prompt resolution of payment problems and/or inquiries by tracking all payments.
- Provides interpretation of applicable PC UG payment regulations, procedures and guidance to vendors regarding proposed payments.
- Assist in tracking and reconciling of Vendor Payments
- Processing of VAT reimbursement requests; Put VAT stamp on all invoices lined up for VAT reimbursement, collect receipts for paid up invoices, fill the online VAT return form and submit it to the Embassy.
- Preparation of Travel Authorizations
- Review and process Travel vouchers for PC staff and official visitors
- Dissemination of policies related to travel such as allowable travel expenses, reimbursement procedures, travel Regulations, Per Diem rates, and others.
- Coordinate with Travel Agents to ensure that travel related permissions / formalities are adhered to and also that tickets are issued in a timely manner.
- Coordinates with relevant staff to ensure that PC staff travel requirements are appropriately met
- For staff on official travel, coordinate with hosting Posts to ensure that all travel requirements are met in a timely manner e.g. sending TAs, passport information, VISA information, etc.
- Follow up on travel related invoices and payments such as those for tickets, airport transfers, visas etc
- Makes hotel and other travel-related reservations for official Peace Corps travelers and visitors.
- Ensures obligation in FORPOST is done for travel-related expenses to include but not limited to accommodation, Meals and Incidental expenses, tickets and other miscellaneous expenses
- Official Travel Card holder
- Assist with photocopying / collating of non-cashier vouchers.
- Coordinate and track all DHL/FedEx shipment to Peace Corps HQ/GAP.
- Be knowledgeable of the Peace Corps Uganda Safety and Security policies and procedures to include timely reporting of suspicious incidents, persons, or articles.
- Ensure complete confidentiality regarding all information related to PC staff, volunteers and operations.
- Serve as back up for admin staff as assigned.
- Develop and regularly update travel related guidance for all PC official travelers
- Performs other duties as assigned by the DMO and the DDMO.
- Immediately communicates Volunteer safety and security concerns and issues to the Safety and Security Manager (SSM) and CD. Knowledgeable and supportive of Peace Corps safety and security policies and procedures, including the timely reporting of suspicious incidents, persons or articles.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United States Peace Corps (PC) Voucher Examiner / Travel Assistant job must hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in accounting, auditing, business administration or a related field.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in voucher examining, accounts payables, accounting, auditing or related budget and fiscal work. Furthermore, 2 years of experience in Travel and logistics coordination is also a requirement.
- US Government experience is an added advantage.
- General familiarity with accounting principles and concepts, financial management and reporting procedures.
- Ability to comprehend and logically, accurately and properly apply the voucher examination process, various and detailed technical program regulations, terms, and conditions as exist.
- Must have tact and ability to explain clearly and convincingly the rationales for payment disallowances.
- Must have demonstrable analytical and decision-making abilities.
- Ability to work under limited supervision, and to organize and prioritize work schedules is also critical.
- Incumbent must also be able to undertake a critical review of vouchers, applying technical skills together with existing general rules and regulations to each and every voucher submitted for payment and liquidation.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Legally able to work in Uganda
- Language Proficiency: Level IV English proficiency
How to Apply
Please submit a Word formatted letter of interest, resume (maximum 3 pages), names and contact information for three references to [email protected]. Please clearly indicate your name and the position applied for on the subject line of the cover email as well as on all the attachments: For example “Akello Ritah_ Voucher Examiner” for the Grants Coordinator Position. Do not write any other words in the subject line of your mail. Submitted documents become the property of the Peace Corps.
Deadline: 22nd February 2019