Chief Accountant at SGS
- Company: SGS
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, we operate a network of more than 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.
The Chief Accountant (1)
Primary Responsibility: To assist in preparation of financial statements, ensure accounting transactions are processed in accordance to law, compliance with tax regulations, statutory audit of financial statements, monthly reporting to group head , manage/review performance of direct reports, handle Treasury and statutory issues, insurance, and reporting to the Financial Controller on designated tasks.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure Finance procedures are fully complied with.
- Ensure all Account Payable reconciliations are correct with each payment being released.
- Review and sign off all Management Accountant reconciliations on monthly basis.
- Review and sign off Inventory reconciliations on monthly basis.
- Review and sign off all Inter-company reconciliations, ensuring mismatches per monthly report received from Group Control are resolved.
- Approve adjustments for processing raised by Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable. In cases of exceptional adjustments, Financial Manager will approve.
- Process high level journals provided directly by Financial Manager.
- Review and sign off all check lists for all direct reports on monthly basis.
- Treasury – includes forward contracts, update of banking documentation, currency exposure reports etc.
- Release payments once verified by Account Payable on Citibank e-banking.
- Prepare and submit HFM reports (Financial, IFRS, NOA) as per deadlines set by Africa Area Control.
- Insurance – review, renew, claims submission – full insurance responsibility.
- Assist with providing information to business managers as requested.
- Statutory issues – Audit and Tax returns ( VAT,WHT), minutes, resolutions.
- Ensure all taxes and similar are paid timeously to avoid penalties, tax clearance.
- Ensure all processing is completed within deadline set by Finance Manager.
- Performance management of direct reports.
- Provide report to Financial Manager of any non compliances to procedures.
- Submit HFM reports accurately to Group Control.
- Provide financial information for vendor agreements, supplier credit application forms.
- Assist the Finance team with audits
- Adhoc assignments.
- Adhere to all quality and safety requirements of the SGS management system.
- Quality Health and Safety reporting requirements for Finance division and assigned QHSE duties.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the SGS Chief Accountant job placement must hold a Degree in commerce/ accounting or business related course with a professional qualification either of ACCA/CIMA/CPA.
- At least four years working experience in a similar role in a busy organisation.
- Thorough understanding of International Accounting Standards, International Financial Reporting Standards as well as working knowledge of local tax laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of accounting software and other computer applications e.g MS Word , MS Excel etc.
- Previous experience in working with Oracle system.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to multitask.
- High standards of Integrity
- Excellent numeric skills
- Willingness to work long hours
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure and with tight time constraints
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to interact effectively with all levels throughout within the company.
- Team player who is also able to work independently
Method of Application
All candidates are encouraged to send a detailed Curriculum Vitae and copies of certificates to applications to:
The Human Resource Manager, SGS Uganda via [email protected] Indicate the position you are applying for. Kindly include your current and expected salary plus daytime contacts.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 10th April 2020 by 4:00om