Communications Officer at Women’s Situation Room
- Company: Women’s Situation Room
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Advertising Jobs in Uganda
The Women’s International Peace Centre and the Uganda Women’s Network are searching for qualified and competent candidates to fill the following positions on behalf of the Women’s Situation Room for the 2021 elections in Uganda. Background The Women’s Situation Room (WSR) is a neutral, non-partisan mechanism that mobilizes women and youth to promote peaceful and democratic electoral processes. The WSR also promotes the enhanced participation of women in peace building in line with the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325. Founded by The Angie Brooks International Centre in Liberia, the WSR was first implemented in 2011 during the presidential elections in Liberia. It has, since then, been replicated in Uganda in 2016 and in other African countries including Senegal, Sierra Leone, Kenya, Nigeria and Ghana. It has been acknowledged as an effective mechanism for promoting peaceful elections by the United Nations Security Council and by the African Union, which requested that the WSR be implemented in all African elections. The WSR involves all electoral stakeholders in consultative engagements to ensure peace before, during and after elections. It includes a physical Situation Room where women are involved in advocacy for peace; political and legal analysis of the situation; and interventions that may include mediation to avert conflict. The overall objective of the WSR Uganda 2021 is to promote the full and active participation of women and youth in ensuring peaceful elections and to contribute to the strengthening and refinement of the WSR mechanism for ensuring peace in African elections. The Women’s Situation Room Uganda will be hosted by Uganda Women’s Network (UWONET); with the Women’s International Peace Centre serving as the WSR Secretariat. The Women’s Situation Room is a non-partisan space, and candidates applying for any of the positions must be committed to being neutral and non-partisan during the full course of their assignment with the Women’s Situation Room .
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Communications Manager, the Communications Officer will perform the following functions:
1. Contribution to the development and implementation of WSR Communications Strategy
1. Design, management, maintenance and regular updating of the WSR website and social media platforms
2. Support to the Communications Manager in the conduct of a proactive media campaign of advocacy for peaceful elections
3. Ensuring effective internal communications across all WSR stakeholders
4. Contribution to the production of communications and knowledge products of the WSR
5. Production of WSR impact stories on activities across all regions
6. Provision of technical advice on management and sharing of appropriate information on the activities of the WSR in line with WSR procedures
7. Support to the Communications Manager in liaison with the WSR Eminent Women, Steering Committee, Regional Communications Officers and other stakeholders.
Core Values: • Transparency • Integrity • Fairness
Education and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Communications, Information Management, Journalism, or relevant field
• Knowledge and understanding of Gender, Peace and Conflict Resolution, Mediation and Reconciliation is an added advantage.
• At least 3 years of progressively responsible work experience in communications, advocacy, research and information.
• Excellent writing and editing skills across a range of communications formats and platforms
• Knowledge of, and solid experience in using a range of standard IT software.
• Fluency in English is required
Method of Application
Deadline – 20th September 2020
Interested candidates should send applications and CVs including three references with contact details and copies of academic and professional testimonials by email to: [email protected]
The Executive Director,
Plot 1 Martyr’s Garden B,
Minister’s Village, Ntinda,
Any inquiries should be submitted through the email addresses listed above. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. The successful candidate should be able to start immediately.