District Community Engagement Supervisor – Gulu, Uganda – ICYD Activity at Education Development Center
- Company: Education Development Center
- Location: Uganda
- State: Gulu
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Uganda
Under the supervision of the Senior Zone Manager, the District Community Engagement Supervisor (DCES) will lead delivery, coordination, monitoring and documentation of community engagement activities around EGR, school retention, SRGBV, and OVC, supported by Community Mobilization Assistants (CMAs), Early Grade Reading Officers (EGROs), and Pre-service Development Officers (PSDOs). They will coordinate with all local government political, administrative, education, health, and community development (district, city and municipality, sub-county and village) officials, and school Foundation Bodies and other partners on School Based Performance Review and Information Management (SPRIM), Local Reading Support Plan (LRSP) and Early Warning System (EWS) activities linked to participating primary schools. Working through the CMAs and Para Social Workers (PSWs), they will be responsible for working with and through schools and community structures to implement quality interventions to achieve the intended results of the ICYD Activity. DCES’ community support activities for improved EGR outcomes for learners will dovetail with efforts to improve retention, and school safety and support to OVC. The DCES will report to the Senior Zone Manager and work closely with and be guided by the Community Engagement Manager from time to time.
As a member of the ICYD Activity team at the zonal level, the DCES will be responsible for the following:
• Contribute to ICYD’s Task 1 (improved EGR learning outcomes) by facilitating community engagement in LRSPs and VLT program.
• Contribute to ICYD’s Task 2 (prevention of SRGBV) focusing on addressing primary school retention and child protection through a combination of family, community and school-based interventions that address known drivers of school dropout, including EWS and other protection and violence prevention activities.
• Work with Lead PSWs and Sub County/District Child Case Management Committees to enhance early detection of the likelihood of abuse and school drop out and establish referral pathways from schools to communities and ultimately to Sub-county and District Child Case Management Committees.
• Support School Management Committees (SMCs), Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs) and other community stakeholders to develop plans and strategies to address barriers to enrollment and retention; collect/monitor data; analyze data to generate school performance status and recommendations and action plans that will be implemented and monitored; identify and recruit age-appropriate children; monitor attendance; and address SRGBV at the school level.
• Contribute to the formulation of the ICYD Community Engagement Strategy and fully integrate its activities into the zonal and district level project work plan.
• Conduct timely and quality planning, implementation and monitoring and reporting of all project activities related to community mobilization at the zonal level. Plans will be based on activities and interventions developed by ICYD technical teams scheduled for coordinated roll out in the ICYD zones.
• Conduct dialogues with pupils, parents, school staff, PSWs, community leaders and other critical stakeholders to create an environment that promotes improved learning outcomes and safety of children and youth at school and in the community.
• Conduct stakeholder mapping at a district level, prioritize potential partners and negotiate for partnership that can culminate into signing of a memorandum of understanding (MOU) and joint work plans.
• Review progress against the work plan on monthly and quarterly basis with zonal project teams, Community Engagement Manager, local government officials, school foundational bodies, cultural institutions, and other partners.
• Actively participate in Collaborative, Learning and Adapting (CLA) processes in place within the project.
• Contribute to the capacity building and training of a team of CMAs and PSWs.
• Prepare written reports on project activities and results on a monthly and quarterly basis and share with zonal leadership, head office and implementation partners.
• Represent ICYD at district, city, municipality and sub-county level community engagements.
• Conduct these and other tasks as required in support of ICYD Activity goals.
The candidate for the position of District Community Engagement Supervisor shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in social work and social administration, adult and community education, or related field.
• A post graduate diploma in community-related field is an added advantage.
• A minimum of 5-6 years’ experience in community mobilization and development related to provision of quality education and/or child protection is required, preferably including social behavior change activities.
• Experience in implementing community awareness-raising/sensitization and advocacy activities for education and child/youth wellbeing outcomes.
• Proven experience working with gender-based violence (GBV), child protection, and/or violence prevention programming.
• Knowledge of local government community structures and approaches to working with these structures.
• Experience conducting community asset mapping and/or stakeholder analysis.
• Experience conducting training for communities and other stakeholders.
• Proven ability to coordinate and manage teams and to effectively mentor in one or more project topics.
• Understanding of the Ugandan education and local government context.
• Ability to verbally communicate in an engaging manner and write clearly and concisely.
• Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders.
• Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects to completion.
• Knowledge of/experience with USAID or other donor-funded projects is preferred.
• Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Lëb Acoli and Lëblaŋo is strongly preferred.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 10th July. 2022