District Program Officer (DPO) (2 Job Opportunities) at IntraHealth International
- Company: IntraHealth International
- Location: Uganda
- State: UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare Jobs in Uganda
IntraHealth International is a non-profit organization based in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, U.S.A. that has been in existence for over 30 years in more than 100 countries and it has empowered health workers to better serve communities in need. IntraHealth fosters local solutions to health care challenges by improving health worker performance, strengthening health systems, harnessing technology, and leveraging partnerships. In collaboration with governments, nongovernmental organizations, and private- sector organizations around the world, IntraHealth champions the needs and contributions of health workers—from doctors and nurses to community health workers to health facility managers—and works to ensure they have the tools, supplies, information, training, and support they need to provide communities they serve with the best possible opportunity for health and well-being
About the Project:
The purpose of the District Health Systems Strengthening on RMNCAH, HIV/AIDS and Nutrition in Karamoja project funded by UNICEF-Uganda and implemented by IntraHealth International is to use a health system strengthening approach to address the availability of quality RMNCAH, HIV/AIDS, and nutrition services in Karamoja. The project will be implemented in the districts of Karamoja and in full alignment with the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), UNICEF’s Rolling Work Plan, and the relevant Government of Uganda national policies and guidelines. The project will work at the district, facility and community level to improve planning, coordination, data use, accountability, quality of care, continuous quality improvement, and integrated service delivery.
The District Program Officer (DPO) will be responsible for the overall coordination of the District Health Systems Strengthening on RMNCAH, HIV/AIDS and Nutrition in Karamoja project- supported initiatives in the district of allocation.
S/he will ensure the implementation of the project and District-specific workplan and interventions in the focus districts and maintain collaborative relationships with DHMT, facilities and other implementing partners to enhance the capacity of district and facility staff to carry out essential services and ensure adherence to Government of Uganda (GOU) and UNICEF technical and ethical guidelines/policies. This position will report to the District Capacity Building and QI technical Advisor.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to district leadership to develop, implement and monitor an integrated One District Health Plan including costed inputs from other implementing partners and stakeholders
- Serve as the liaison between the Moroto-based project technical staff and the district leadership, including the DHO, DHMTs, health facilities and other implementing partners.
- Work with project team and districts to ensure coordination of the district-specific interventions in the project workplan at the district, facility and community levels
- Support district leadership to have data-driven performance review meetings
- Support DHMTS to strengthen integrated supportive supervision, mentoring and coaching (including nutrition)
- Support DHMTS to continuously use bottleneck analysis for health and nutrition service improvement
- Work with district leadership to strengthen performance management, including supervision to track contribution of health system strengthening interventions to service delivery outcomes at the health facility level.
- Work with district leadership to ensure Continuous Quality Improvement training, mentorship, and coaching at the facility level based on district-specific needs
- Participate in district level quality improvement, assessments and mentorship, with the DHMT to implement agreed action plans to improve service quality.
- Routinely monitor and support the management and distribution of nutrition commodities and support nutrition supply chain integration
- Support the project M&E team and the health facilities to ensure 100% reporting, accurate and correct data.
- Monitor progress and provide implementation status updates to the Project team and contribute towards reporting including but not limited to monthly (activity plans and progress reports), quarterly, and annual reports.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Degree BSN, MBChB, Social Sciences, or Clinical Medicine with additional basic degree. A master’s degree in Public Health or its equivalent will be of added advantage.
- A good understanding of the District Health System and experience working with DHMTs
- Experience implementing Quality Improvement initiatives and conducting health facility mentorships will be an added advantage.
- At least four (4) years of relevant professional experience managing and implementing health service delivery programs.
- Preferred technical knowledge and skills in at least two of the following: Nutrition, HIV/AIDS, or RMNCH
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government and NGO representatives
- Preferred work experience with UNICEF and/or as an implementing partner for other donors.
- Preferred work experience in Karamoja
- Willingness to live in a district in Karamoja
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, with excellent MS Word and Excel skills, MS power point
- Proven interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with all key stakeholders
- Proven leader with strong communication skills both oral and written.
- Wilingness to be based in the supported district.
- Willingness and ability to work with all stakeholders.
- Willingness to travel throughout the project area with partners and key stakeholders
Innovation – Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
Effective Communication (Oral and Written)
Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
Planning and Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed upon strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across Divisions, Departments/Country Offices in a constructive and collaborative manner.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
Method of Application
All Interested applicants should submit their application and CV title DPO-Kaboong or Karenga to
the Human Resource & Admin Manager
through email address
Closing Date : 30th July 2020