Finance and Administration Manager at Seed Global Health (Seed)
- Company: Seed Global Health (Seed)
- Location: Uganda
- State: Uganda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
Seed Global Health (Seed) envisions a world in which every country is strengthened by a robust health workforce to best meet the health needs of its population. Seed’s mission is to educate a rising generation of health professionals to strengthen access to quality care with a goal of saving lives and improving health. Seed is unique in its approach by focusing on the education and training of doctors, nurses, and midwives. By training health care professionals and health educators, Seed seeks to empower current and future generations of health providers so that good health is not the privilege of a few, but the right of all.
Seed focuses on strengthening the education, practice, and policy of the local professional health workforce in Africa. Seed’s core strategy and primary entry point centres on placing skilled and qualified educators at partner institutions for a minimum of one academic year. Seed also supports educators and partner institutions through a diverse and complementary package of services aimed at advancing health professional education in the classroom and clinical setting. By investing in long-term partnerships for improved health professional education, we help to create a stronger, more sustainable health workforce that is both locally led and better able to meet local health needs. For more information, please visit www.seedglobalhealth.org
The Finance and Administration Manager (F&A Manager) contributes his/her energy, passion and skills primarily to supporting Seed’s Uganda country program in a fast-paced office during a time of rapid growth. The position is a full-time position based in Kampala. The (F&A Manager) supports various F&A functions (including developing, maintaining and implementing policies, procedures and systems) and manages special projects related to organisational needs and priorities as requested by the Country Director and the Global F&A team.
This full-time position reports to the Country Director and works closely with the Global Finance & Operations Manager, respective Program Managers and officers, Global F&A team and works closely with all country and team members.
The Finance & Administration Manager heads the Finance/Administration department and works with a team consisting of a Finance Associate and Administrative/Logistics Assistant who directly report to him/her.
Duties and responsibilities
Finance and accounting.
• Preparation and submission of periodic financial reports of the country program activities to Boston within agreed timelines.
• Manage the accounting system and ensure that it meets the key requirements relating to reporting to Key stakeholders including segregation of donor funds and reporting to statutory bodies.
Focal person for all Sparkrock 365 issues including training and support to the country team
• Support the Country Director and Global F&A team to ensure that all country and global teams are informed of significant issues and developments concerning the Uganda program financial management and budget monitoring of the activities including tracking and generating budget to actual reports.
Serve as a liaison with external partners including bank officials, auditors, government agencies, vendors and attorneys as delegated by the country director.
• Liaise with the Global F&A team, primarily through the Global Finance & Operations Manager to ensure smooth coordination of finance and administration activities including procurement, internal and external compliance and human resource management.
• Initiate monthly funds advance requests from Headquarters based on the monthly expenditure projections of the country office activities.
• Ensure that all cash requisitions are authorised before payment and that every payment must be made on a payment voucher immediately.
• Ensure that all supporting documents are properly filed appropriately both in soft and hard copies per documented procedures and stipulated by the law for compliance and tax auditing if/when needed.
• Supervise the maintenance of petty cash level in the safe according to approved amounts at any point in time. Ensure the safe is always under lock and key.
• With support from the Global F&A team and the Country director, Lead the year-end audit exercises of the books of accounts for the country office.
• Support the Global F&A team in preparing for global end-of-year audit exercises.
• Maintain set internal control measures and advise on measures for strengthening and/or optimising the internal controls from time to time.
• Work alongside the Country Director and other team members to proactively monitor the budget, identify the potential for underspending or overspending and take the necessary measures to address.
• File tax returns and corporate returns accordingly as required by law or Seed policy.
• Ensure compliance to statutory obligations in line with our International NGO status in-country with different bodies such as Uganda Revenue Authority, NSSF, National NGO bureau, Immigration office, etc.
• Manage country office inventory, including periodic quarterly/annual inventory of all equipment and supplies.
• Manage country office procurement processes, including updating the database of providers for goods and services commonly required by the country office, regular procurement of office supplies, assisting Seed partners with program-related program purchases, and coordinating deliveries and pickups of office or other supplies.
• Provide updates to Seed partners as instructed or delegated by the Country Director.
• Manage assets and office equipment.
• Supervise the administrative and logistics function to provide administrative support including general management of the office ensuring that all facilities are functioning well for a conducive work environment.
• Oversee logistical and administrative support to the country team during country program activities and team meetings.
• Research and synthesise financial information to inform planning, strategic decision-making activities, and grant proposals.
• Responding promptly to queries and internal requests for information.
• Support the Country Director and Country team to develop, and monitor budgets and have appropriate actions in line with stipulated budgetary processes.
Human Resources support
• Prepare the monthly payroll, file related taxes and process payments against such returns (PAYE, WHT, LST).
• Maintain and update personnel files on the HR management platform.
• Support the recruitment process for new positions including local advertisements.
• Assist the Country Director and Director Human Resources in recruitment exercises as well as handling staff separation from the organisation.
• Administer and implement staff benefits and welfare packages as stipulated on the benefits/welfare packages policy.
• Assist the Country Director and Global HR team with administering safety and security protocols and responding to needs as they arise.
• Perform any such other duties as shall from time to time be assigned by the Country Director or such other designated officer.
Educational qualification, skills and experience
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting & finance or related discipline.
• A full professional qualification in accounting is desirable and a minimum of level 3 is a must.
• At least five years’ experience working in a busy international NGO setting – a minimum of 3 years should have been as part of senior management.
• Proficiency in ERPs such as Microsoft Dynamics, Business Central or similar software.
• Excellent proficiency in Microsoft suite especially Excel and Word.
• Proficiency in PowerBi or other data visualization and reporting software is a plus.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Organised, detail and result oriented.
• Flexibility and proven ability to handle multiple tasks and manage project deadlines.
• Will be based in the Kampala office.
• Travel expected during partner engagements and team meetings.
• Will be required to sit/stand for up to eight hours per day.
• Working for a maximum of hours per week except on public holidays and weekends.
Competitive base salary commensurate with experience, as well as health/dental/eye insurance, attractive leave packages, and professional development benefits.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and current CV/resume not exceeding 5 pages indicating 3 referees and their contacts addressed to:
Human Resources, Seed Global Health
Email: [email protected] or apply via Seed Global Health’s website: https://seedglobalhealth.org/the-latest/career-opportunities/
Please indicate ‘Finance & Administration Manager, Uganda’ in the subject line of your email. Closing date for applications is February 27, 2024.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Seed Global Health is an equal opportunity employer that prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type, including without limitation based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state, and local law.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.