Programme Management Specialist (Artificial Intelligence and Data Policy) at UN Global Pulse
- Company: UN Global Pulse
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Uganda
UN Global Pulse is the Secretary-General’s initiative on big data and artificial intelligence for development, humanitarian action, and peace. Its Vision is to contribute to a future in which big data and artificial intelligence are harnessed safely and responsibly for the public good.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of senior management of UN Global Pulse, the consultant will perform the following duties:
- Coordinate the development and implementation of AI and data governance projects across Africa;
- Support scaling up of existing initiatives and identify relevant opportunities for Global Pulse’s engagement in the AI and data governance space in the region;
- Ensure timely delivery of reports on ongoing AI and data governance projects to UN Global Pulse senior management;
- Provide technical inputs to and support governments in the development of policy instruments on AI and data governance in the Global South region;
- Manage a small project team distributed across Ghana and Uganda;
- Expand and maintain a network of stakeholders on AI and data from public, private sector and civil society organizations in Ghana and Uganda;
- Support the representation of UN Global Pulse on AI and data governance related projects in the Africa region by participating in discussions with stakeholders;
- Manage organization of events, working groups, and other advocacy related events related to the AI and data policy work in the Africa region;
- Develop a system to ensure knowledge transfer and capacity building within the Pulse Lab Network;
- Provide technical inputs to various Pulse Network related documents and reports in the area of work, including policy papers;
- Work closely with the policy team in Pulse Lab New York and the senior management of Pulse Lab Kampala, ensuring alignment of policy work and priorities across Pulse Labs.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the UN Global Pulse Programme Management Specialist [Artificial Intelligence and Data Policy] must hold a Master’s degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Computer Sciences, International Relations, Law, or other relevant fields.
- A Bachelor’s Degree plus additional (2) two years may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
- At least five years of practical experience in data privacy, data protection, data governance or artificial intelligence ethics related matters in Africa is required;
- Experience in drafting written materials, producing reports, and meeting summaries is required
- Experience in event organization and meeting facilitation is required;
- Desirable experience (the following experience is optional candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
- At least (2) two years of project management experience in the field of data and AI governance or data and AI innovation is desired;
- Experience in providing policy advice on digital development and digital transformation is highly desirable;
- Experience in public speaking and active participation in data privacy, data protection, AI ethics working groups and consultations representing an organization is highly desirable;
- Working knowledge of data and AI applications for social good is highly desirable;
- Technical expertise in the area of AI or data science or related technical fields, including data innovation for social good is an asset;
- Research experience in AI and data related studies and/or global development is highly desirable.
- Experience working with an international organization and/or other public sector institution in Africa is an asset;
- Language: Fluency in English (written and oral) is required.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- Candidates with no united nations or UNOPS experience are strongly encouraged to apply
Method of Application
Closing Date : 12th July 2020